Saturday, May 26, 2012

Cranberry Pecan Short Scones

This is again from the book Bread Alone by Judith Ryan Hendricks. I had already posted my nutella scones  when the BookClub had chosen it. But while going through the book again, I wanted to try out the short scones with the recipe given there. I am not a scones person and I prefer to bake a sweeter shortbread rather than scone. But recently I wanted to try this and thus simply tried it out. 

I am not sure of what the term 'short' in the scone means. May be the author turned it into small sized scones ! They are just sweet or  not overtly sweet, a tad unse mix.weet we can say if you have a very sweet tooth, but it came out good and were easy to make especially when u think of baking something in the hot summer sun!. Anyway I paired them with chocolatey desserts and they were good to go.

Ingredients:


All Purpose Flour: 3 cups
Sugar: 1/2 cup + as needed
Baking Powder: 5 tsp
Salt: 1 tsp

Butter: 1 cup or 200 g or 2 sticks chilled and cubed

Dried Cranberry (Craisins) : 1/2 cup soaked in orange juice (I used sweetened juice)
Pecans: 1/2 cup toasted and chopped

Milk: 1/2 cup
Egg or Egg Replacer Egg: 1 (1.5 pkd tsp of Ener G + 2 tbsp of water whipped together to make an egg)
Zest of an orange

Preparation:

Combine flour,sugar, baking powder and salt in a big bowl.Cut in chilled cubes of butter and pinch and fluff till you get pea sized crumbs of dough. Drain cranberries and add in to the dough along with pecans.

In another small bowl, whisk together zest,milk and egg. Add the wet mix to the dough and mix until just combine and the dough comes together as a ball.

Roll out on a dusted surface into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and cut into desired shapes.

Now here I found that the dough was lightly sticky and could not be rolled out without tearing. So I put the entire dough on a lined baking sheet and patted it into a rough circle and with a pizza cutter cut the dough into wedges and left them as such without changing the place/position.

Bake the scones in an preheated oven at 375F for about 25 minutes until golden brown.

Take out and let them cool for sometime before removing the wedges from the baking sheet. Serve warm as a tea time snack or pair with other confections like ice cream or chocolate sauce for a complete dessert platter.


They are just sweet as I said and its better you pair it up with chocolate or soething sweeter for a complete dessert.

3 Comments:

Bergamot said...

The scone look really delicious. Love the addition of cranberries and pecans

Swati Sapna said...

I have tried scones just once and found them to bland and dry :( Maybe the deli I had them at didnt hv this good a recipe! Your scones look pretty awesome :)

Priya Suresh said...

Short scones looks fabulous, wish to start my day with it.

Thanks for visiting my Blog

/*TYNT script starts here */ /*TYNT ends */